Dear Disforum,

Here at City Lit, we do not get students to confirm they have had the
support.  The idea of getting the student to sign the form, is fine in
theory but in practicalities extremely difficult.

We have 110 students supported by 80 staff in 29 institutions.  Because of
past problems, issues and experiences with students and workers it is rare
that any full time student will have less than three support workers in a
week plus a support/language tutor.  If we can get the student to stay long
enough to give them the notes, we are doing well, let alone signing a form
to say they have had support.  We have the worker submit separate timesheets
for each student monthly.  This is then inputted and a print out sent to the
student and the LEA.  It is then upto them to query anything.

Some questions for Katherine:

1.                   How do you deal with cancelled bookings?  Who signs the
form? You still need to pay the worker.

2.                   What do you do with absent students? Do you get the
lecturer to sign that a support worker turned up?  In that case do they need
to hang around until the end of the session.  Our workers are only allowed
to stay 20 minutes if the student does not arrive.  They can't interrupt the
lecturer mid-flow.  (In our experience it is difficult enough to get them to
sign something once a term).

Ann Crocker