Continuous employment is one thing but is usually got around by inserting a week or month break between the contracts, i.e one contract finishes on 30th June,  the next commences on the 1st of August. This is usually enough to satisfy the Human Resouces people.
-----Original Message-----
From: Clare Davies [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 August 2003 1:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: employing support workers

How to other HEIs deal with recruitment of support workers such as note-takers and study facilitators?

At UCN we have been emplyoying note-takers and study facilitator via payroll, as casual/temporary staff, to avoid the problems associated with self-employment or asking the student to act as employer.  I advertise for such staff on a relatively informal basis, and keep details on a register after an informal interview, to enable us to respond quickly to requests from students for such support. This overcomes the difficulty predicting requirements in advance and allows me to appoint  individuals quickly, as required.

Students often ask to continue using a support worker with whom they have built up a good working relationship, and I want to be able to re-appoint people who have developed the required skills. This has been particularly important if we have provided training, eg note-takers for deaf students.

However Human Resources has now introduced a maxium 12-month time limit for temporary/casual staff, to prevent them acquiring employment rights such as redundancy pay.  Apparently subsequent contracts can count as continuous employment, despite breaks in contract during the summer vacation. The recruitment process for staff on longer-time contracts, takes a minimum of 4 months and it is difficult to obtain senior management approval for such appointments.

I would appreciate information about how other disability support services have dealt with similar siuations.

Clare Davies