There are a number of conditions other than epilepsy that respond to
subliminal flicker, some migraines being one.  The fact that the
response system is not understood does not mean it does not exist,
simply that enough empirical research has not been conducted.  (Hands
up those who recognise the Meares-Irlen controversy returning to a
screen near you?)  Of course, the other questions are just how modern
are the CRT monitors in an institution and what refresh rate are they
operating at and is this true for all applications and does whoever
provides computer services permit individual students to check these
settings.

The obvious solution is to equip every computer suite with one or two
TFT screens and give priority of use to students who can give a
plausible reason for needing one.  That way, the institution can say it
has acted reasonably to meet expected need.  The less obvious solution
is send every such student along to an ACCESS Centre insisting that
they have a laptop (with LCD screen) and all the course-related
software that they otherwise cannot use in the institution.
Personally, I find it delightful to support university purchasing
decisions rather than individual students' disabilities.  It's a
vocation, really.

Regards, Bernard

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:11:07 +0000 Andrew Hodgson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> David Waite in <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> >Dear all,
> >        can I have some responses techie or  otherwise on
> >the wisdom of not supplying  Flatscreen LCD computer
> >screens to computer facilities that are to be universally
> >shared by all students in computer clusters.
> >
> >Our IT dept is (trying) to justify NOT supplying them on
> >disability grounds because an expert,  Professor G Harding
> >(Aston University, England  says:
> >
> >"Contrary to public belief, the use of
> >professional VDUs rarely presents anyrisk to the person
> >with epilepsy. The risk of a seizure occuring depends on
> >the material being displayed.  Most current computer displays have scan
> >frequencies of 70 per second and above.  These are unlikely to provoke
> >seizures."
> >
> >Quoted at http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/photofrm.html
> >

> >Iam a bit worried about the Profs  use of the word 'most'.
> >I have seen student medical recommendations from consultant
> >neurologists saying student x needs a lcd screen in order
> >to be safe.
>
> Yes, I know of at least one person who cannot use a VDU monitor, so I
> really think it depends on how bad the condition is.  However, I don't
> know that one or two people having the problem would justify having
> flat panel screens, given their cost and the fact that they can get
> damaged very easily.
>
> Andrew.
> --
> Andrew Hodgson, Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
> Email: [log in to unmask]

Bernard Doherty
Student Adviser
ACCESS Centre