[log in to unmask] writes:

> "Please may I have a list of the children's names," said a parent.  "I want
> to send all the children a Christmas Card."
>
> A teacher said "yes", and prepared a list to hand out.  But "Child's
> forename, Nursery, Floggings Primary School" is sufficient to identify a
> living individual.  Not uniquely in the case of a John, but in the case of
> the names in this class, trust me, it's unique!
>
> So, may the list be handed out?  No permissions of any description have ever
> been gathered for this purpose.

-------------
At some schools in this area - where DPA training has been given - this issue
is sorted out by the use of consent forms.  When the parents fill in the
basic details form they are asked about further (non-educational) uses of their
(and their child's) data.  This includes disclosure to other parents,
photos/videos by other parents, photos by school photographer and so on.  Tick boxes are
given for them to opt in. It is made clear to them they can withdraw the
consent at any time.

In the absence of such consent I would be very wary.

Ian B

Ian Buckland
Managing Director
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information given above does not replace or negate the need
for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is essential that you do not
rely upon any advice given without contacting your solicitor.  If you need
further explanation of any points raised please contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at
the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP