[log in to unmask] writes:

> Being Friday, I will rise to the bait once again.
>
> The ER cannot be sold to anybody whatsoever for any purpose whatsoever,
> without being in breach of legislative provisions.

--------
The edited register, as I said, can.

Extract from the prescribed form of words for all Electoral Registration
forms, as per The Representation of the People (England and Wales)(Amendment)
Regulations 2002:

"The edited register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have
asked for them to be excluded from that version of the register. The edited
register can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and they may use if for any
purpose."

I am not saying that people are allowed under other laws to do with it what
they will and it may well be that some processes will be illegal.  But it is
not up to the ERO to ask why the register is being purchased.  Anyone who
further processes the edited register must of course comply with DPA requirements
and must give people an opt out from further contact.  If the edited register is
purchased (by anyone just putting in a request, paying and getting it sent to
them) breaches any law when using the register, the ERO will not be
questioned about it, nor can an individual bring any legal action for the sale.

However, as for the full register - I suspect they'll be the first point of
contact for helping with police enquiries if any further use was made of the
data, including disclosing an extract from it over the telephone from someone
who was not entitled to receive that data.

Incidentally, how many other fully democratic countries within the EEA
publish a list of voters for public inspection?

Ian B

Ian Buckland
Managing Director
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information given above does not replace or negate the need
for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is essential that you do not
rely upon any advice given without contacting your solicitor.  If you need
further explanation of any points raised please contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at
the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP