Paul Ticher on 07 March 2003 at 09:16 made the point:-

> ....does the whole file constitute personal data
> regardless, once it
> has been linked to the individual, or do you have to examine
> each document
> within it to see whether that particular document is personal data?....

> However, are
> you *obliged* to provide it, just because it's in their file?

This raises the question of why it (the generic data) was included within
the file to start with?

It would seem strange if an organisation as standard practice included a
generic circulation, distributed widely to employees, within each employees
file.  The doubling in resource costs alone would probably raise concerns;
On the other hand something may accidentally have been place in a file;
Or as a practice within an organisation, a copy of any relevant generic
discipline regulation could be included within the file of every employee
who was subject to any sort of discipline investigation.  That material
would be generic, but it could equally have significant implications for an
individual.

If material contained in a file linked to a data subject is not produced
some scope for argument between the data controller and the data subject is
created.  If all the data is produced, the scope for argument is reduced.
Much along the lines of Dave Wyatts' comments.  What reason could there be
not to produce generic material?

It seems so to me.   If material is in a personnel file, it should be
produced, to protect both the data controller and the data subject.

Ian W

[snip]

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm