Oh Graham, you are a one, with that disclaimer.

As to the newspaper story, the resident had identified herself. I think he
was in breach in getting down to specifics about the state of her bin,
although she herself had written that it was overfilled. Obviously the
information about her bin was not collected by the authority for the
purposes of journalism, but she hardly has ground for complaint since she
herself had raised issues about the council's policy and its relation to her
own bin in the newspaper. Gentle ticking off ("Explain the general policy
rather than disputing the specific case"), cup of tea and a cake for the
officer, I think.

I do wonder (as a Council Tax payer with a wheelie bin) whether residents
could have been expected to understand that personal data which could be
linked to individuals would be collected by the dustbin service - I hadn't
thought it through in respect of my own bin until you raised it, and find it
difficult to say whether I was put on notice.

Paul

            All user commands can be found at : -