        From:   Donald Henderson [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   19 August 2003 16:29
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        Re: [data-protection] [bulk email] [data-protection]
Email !!!!!!! and H drive

        Teresa,

        You're straying into the murky world of RIP with your questions,
which
        is what part 3 is supposed to reconcile with DP.

        Everything depends on the policy your organisation adopts and what
it
        tells its employees. Unwritten rules are normally only worth the
paper
        they're written on !

        If the organisation says nothing is private and tells everyone, then
        everything can be accessed. If it says things marked "private"
belong to
        individuals, it can still access them if there is a justifiable
business
        need (eg keeping the mail system working or investigating a possible
        crime), but it is unlikely that a manager could justify forcing
access
        merely because an employee was off.

        The key issue is adopting a policy and publicising it to all
employees.

        Donald Henderson
        Information Security Manager
        Perth & Kinross Council