From: BOWMAN, SUSAN [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 August 2003 09:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] police requests for info

Dear all

I'm fairly new to DP, so please bear with me if I'm asking an old
question.

We often receive requests from our local police to pass on individual
student addresses to them to aid them in investigating a crime. My view
is that a warrant should be obtained first, but can I ask for this when
section 29 of the DPA seems to set out an exception to the rules in such
cases?

I've had a search in the JISC DP archives and seen mention of a special
form, but this seems to have been designed for use with ISPs.

What do other people do in such circumstances?

Susan Bowman

Registrar

City College Norwich

Internet communications are insecure, therefore City College Norwich (CCN)
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of CCN.

This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named

recipient and may be confidential. If you are not the named recipient please
email the sender immediately then delete this message. You should not
disclose the content, distribute or retain any copies of this message.

City College Norwich, Ipswich Rd., Norwich, Norfolk. NR2 2LJ.

http://www.ccn.ac.uk

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm

SMOKE ALARMS SAVE LIVES

Go to London Fire at www.london-fire.gov.uk/firesafety

This email is confidential to the addressee only. If you do not believe that
you are the intended addressee, do not use, pass on or copy it in any way.
If you have received it in error, please delete it immediately and telephone
the number given, reversing the charges if necessary.