Free Seminar on Meta-learning, Jan 28th 2004 Hello everyone,

Apologies for cross posting.

You are very welcome to attend a free seminar / workshop given by Norman Jackson on

META-LEARNING - WHAT IS IT AND IS IT USEFUL?

Wednesday January 28th at Trent Park, Middlesex University, 5 pm.

This is one of a series of events at the International Centre for Learner Managed Learning (ICLML) at Middlesex (http://iclml.com)

If you intend to come please drop me a note by way of reply to this notice, so that I can ensure sufficient chairs and biscuits.

Details of the event is attached as a work document, but if you prefer not to open unsolicited attachments there is a summary below.

John Stephenson

******************
Meta-learning: what is it and is it useful?

Presented by Norman Jackson
Senior Advisor Learning and Teaching Support Network Generic Centre, and University of Surrey

This seminar will examine the idea of meta-learning. John Biggs (1985) is credited with creating and defining the concept of meta-learning. His conception is framed around the idea of Œbeing aware of and taking control of onešs own learning.š  Implicit within this conception are the ideas that:

q People need to have knowledge and understanding of how they learn.
q They are motivated to regulate themselves in this way.
q They have the capacity to regulate their actions and behaviours in this way.

The conception implies that meta- learning is a complex mixture of:
q Products - knowledge about learning particularly onešs own learning and how we learn in different contexts.
q Attitudes ­ founded on beliefs that regulating self in this way is the right thing to do.
q Capacities and skills ­ to think and act on thinking in ways that make use of onešs knowledge about self.

We are searching for a deeper understanding of the concept of meta-learning. We will examine the idea from the perspective of a range of theoretical models pertinent to self-managed learning and from our own everyday experiences of learning. But ultimately we are interested in whether the concept of meta-learning is useful to you.

Send a note to [log in to unmask] if you intend to come.