Iain (&, partly, Rebecca):

I said my review was intemperate. I do not regard that as an apology,
merely a statement of fact. Had I thought the review needed apologizing
for I would have changed it or withdrawn it. (I've done this once,
incidentally, where I attacked someone for something I thought they'd
said, only to have it proved categorically that I had got it wrong - on
an issue of fact, rather than opinion.) I was moved to intemperance by
my extreme impatience with the imbalance between reputation and
execution in both the books reviewed.

My views of the two books have not changed one iota. I still think the
Mulddon book execrable. I'm sorry you find the word offensive, Iain,
but that's your prerogative. I'm not a poet, by the way, so I'm not
offending a fellow-poet here; perhaps you find that worse? My throwaway
line about him not being bothered by my comments was surely accurate?
Someone who's just won the Pulitzer, the Griffin, the PBS Choice and
has been shortlisted for the Forward, plus garnered positive reviews in
most if not all the journals where poetry books are reviewed, is not
going to be bothered about an attack from a small one-man journal like
mine. The weight is all of the other side, I would have thought.

I accept there may be an alternative view of the first poem in Duhig's
book, as there manifestly are regarding Muldoon's. I still find it a
formulaic list-poem that depends for its impact upon audience
recognition of a series of period amusements - exactly the kind of
thing I hear done to death at readings, and always, always,
successfully. Hence my comments, by which I continue to stand.

Tony Frazer