On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 15:17:48 +0100, Tony Frazer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Peter's claim may have been a little all-encompassing, but I don't
>think he's far off the mark.

"All over the world editors and readers think..." seems to have shrunk
rather drastically in your account to the bookshops of Germany and
France."A little all-encompassing" is, I hope, a witty understatement.
Forty-ish and under poets from the rest of the world are hardly represented
in British bookshops either...this is a problem surely of the slow (and
sometimes arbitrary) process of translation, selection, and the willingness
of publishing houses - as you seem to acknowledge. Which American poets of
the younger generation are available in other languages? None's my guess.
And anyway it would hardly prove that editors and readers all over the
world think British poetry is old-fashioned?
Best,
Iain