We have held a number of practice sessions and none of them have been
entirely smooth. It is difficult though to pin down problems though because
of the large variety of workstations scattered around College. We have got
the Java working properly and we can connect from home and mostly things are
working as they should but we find that, after a while in the session, the
contributions some of the participants make do not appear on screen and then
the only solution is to close the tool and reopen it. We suspect that this
gets worse when we are recording a session but need to do some more testing
to verify this suspicion. I also find that once a session degenerates like
this, it is impossible to turn off the recording without exiting.  It's an
ambiguous signal when the moderator leaves!

We have reported to Blackboard that the users all enter the Virtual
Classroom as Active Users although the manual says they should be passive.
BB have acknowledged this as a fault and kicked it back to the software
engineers.

We find it irritating that the VC screen is designed for 1024 display
settings, all our PCs are locked down to 800x600 and this means that the
compose box and some important tools are off the screen! What is irritating
is that there is actually a resizing tool in the bottom right corner of the
panel that does not work. We have reported this but there is no intention to
fix it.

I am glad you have asked about the collaboration tools, Mark. It is
difficult in one institution to get sufficient practice/evidence to build up
a clear picture of the performance of these tools. Perhaps we should
continue to pool and compare our findings regularly?

John Green