We have a project looking at compliant airofoils on a compliant mounting
(stiff fuselage/tail assembly).  This has raised the following questions:

When a bird comes in to land, just before it finally drops on to its
perch it more or less stalls.  At this point the feathers on the
trailing edge lift.  What does this represent in terms of flow around
the wing section?
Are the feathers giving a conformable upper surface (presumably yes)?
Does this retain laminar flow over the upper surface despite the
apparent stall condition (presumably also yes, but what's the detail)?
What's happening to air flow beneath the lifted feathers?  Is it
turbulent; does the gap between the lifted feathers and the rest of the
wing get occupied by air leaking around the trailing edge from the lower
surface, or what?

Anyone got any references??
--
Julian FV Vincent                                               [log in to unmask]
Professor of Biomimetics                                        office 01225 386596

http://www.bath.ac.uk/Departments/Eng/biomimetics/

I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know.  (Ralph Waldo Emerson)