Many years ago working in medical equipment maintenance at the QE hospital
Birmingham, I found that the Apnoea monitors we had could detect the beat of
my heart even when I was sat on the sensor.

I have no idea what is on the market at the moment, but you could set limits
for the "rate" of breathing etc. This had an alarm output. You may be able
to adapt something for the purpose. The sensor was only a large plate
capacitor, about 225 square cm.

Best of luck.

        Geoff

G.J.Harbach  I.Eng  MIED  IIPEM
Clinical Technologist
Special Controls Service Manager
West Midlands Rehabilitation Centre
91 Oak Tree Lane, Selly Oak
Birmingham, West Midlands, B92 6JA
Tel 0121  627 1627  Ext. 53238

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing
or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author
by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.