From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 5:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Collective noun and Friday afternoon (thank goodness)

Hi All

well, Friday again ... have had a HUGE response re a collective noun for

Archivists - many repeats, but the favourite appears to be:

     a series of Archivists

.. other offerings .....

a fonds ....
a level ....
a file .....
a unit .....
a gathering .....
a catalogue .....
a dusting or a rustle ......
a bundle .......
a clutch ......
an accumulation of Archivists as opposed to a confusion of Curators
a preservation ......
a provenance ......
a deposit ......
a repository .....
a handlist ......
a dust .......
a linear foot .....
a shelf of .....
a Justice League of .....
a cardigan ( one of my favourites)
and for a pair of Archivists - a twin set (loved that one)
a conservation
an accession .....
a lurk .....
a box .....
a hush ......   (this came from a conference)
a list......
a whimper

... and then there was the offering of:
.... Archivists make it last longer, and
...Librarians are novel lovers, and
... Librarians do it in stacks

The whole world of archives - archivy (as in Muscovy!) from Tim at
Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent.

thanks for all your humour - I had email from England, Scotland, Wales,
Ireland
and Japan!  I was having a bit of trouble with my email and may have
deleted a
couple of responses before replying to them - my apologies.

Linda

Linda Stanisic
Archivist
Pine Rivers Shire Council
PO Box 5070
Strathpine
Qld 4500
Australia

_

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential.   If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.   It is intended solely for the addressee.   Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the email and any attachments from the system.