BBC Domesday Project at Practical Experiences in Digital Preservation,
2nd - 4th April 2003, Public Record Office, Kew, UK

2nd April 2003

18:45 - Andy Finney
The History of the BBC Domesday Project

19:00 - Adrian Pearce
The New BBC Domesday Community Interface

Presentations as part of our informal evening session. This begins with an
opportunity to view our museum and Elizabeth I exhibition, followed by
drinks and canapés.

BBC Domesday was a national project carried out in 1986 to celebrate the
900th anniversary of the Domesday Book. School children and researchers from
all over the country collected huge amounts of information about the
communities in which they lived. This information, in the form of text and
photographs, was recorded onto 2 special videodiscs that could be played
using a BBC Master computer and an LV-ROM player.

In 1986 a full BBC Domesday system was presented to the Keeper of the Public
Records. In 2003, however, this system is one of the few working examples of
BBC Domesday in existence. After 16 years of use, most of the LV-ROM players
produced have reached the end of their working lives. As a storage
technology, LV-ROM has been superseded by CD-ROM and DVD, leaving the BBC
Domesday disks perilously close to being unreadable.
Working with the BBC and others we have preserved the content of the BBC
Domesday project in a digital storage medium, using the original analogue
videotapes. We are now working to make this resource available to
generations of future users.

Website: http://www.pro.gov.uk/events/conferences/ica_programme.htm

Bookings:
We are now almost at full capacity for this event.  Please contact:
to check availability.

Further information: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This e-mail message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential  to The Public Record Office.
If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case,
please notify the sender by return e-mail immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business
of the Public Record Office are neither given nor endorsed by it.