Hi all.

We opened yesterday an exhibition under the name "Political Propaganda
in  the Reykjavik City Archives". In it we show political propaganda for
 parliament elections covering the years 1880 to 1999. We explain voting
rights and how they developed and and we show propaganda from the
various  parties, how it had developed and now become much more
commercial.  Sometimes, it is quite comical to look at it after not so
many years.

We also decided to be a "election propaganda center" for all parties for
 the coming parliament elections, which will take place May 10th. We
have  collected materials from them all and set it up in neutral way.
This is  the only place the public has a chance to come and read or take
brochures  from all parties.

This morning we had joint press conference of the media and several
candidates from five of the six parties. The candidates and the media
walked through the exhibition together and mixed discussions about
politics in the past and today. The meeting was covered by  two TV
stations, 2 radio stations and one newspaper covering this, as well as
PR  people from the parties themselves.  It was a risk we took to have
this,  because we had no idea how many would show up, but it was quite
successful  media event

I hope you will have a chance to see this exhibition if you come to
Iceland before May 12th but otherwised I wanted to present this as an
example to you that archives can get noticed and mix up the past and
present.

Our last exhibition was about occupied Reykjavik during WWII which about
 7.000 people came to see in 7 weeks. The next exhibition will be about
the  founding father of our archives and well as several other cultural
institutions. We have a designer working with us on that one, as it is
quite trickly to set up interesting exhibition about "ordinary"
individual.

Have a great weekend.

Svanhildur Bogadottir
city archivist