From: Birch,P CSD-REC.Conservator [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 October 2003 08:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: monitoring ebay?

One of our archivists monitors ebay on an informal basis, i.e. he buys a lot
of stuff for himself so he keeps an eye out for things which might interest
the office. So far we have  bought a couple of things this way. We have also
had a searcher donate to us something  which he bought on ebay with us in
mind. One problem would appear to me to be when the office ends up bidding
against someone who intends to buy in order to give to us but I would assume
that this is pretty unlikely. It does seem worth doing, most of the things
seem to sell for small sums and so far we have been able to cover the costs
from our donations fund.

Regards
Pamela Birch
Bedfordshire & Luton Archives Service