Dear All

Coming late to this one, I've always favoured a Chronology of
Archivists.  If nothing else, Chronology is just such a lovely word to
pronounce!

Regards

Elizabeth

At 12:38 17/07/2003 +0100, MD Hall, Assistant Archivist, Special Collection
wrote:
> > The list of words collected consists entirely of obscure
>professional
> > terms (at least outside the archives world) or negative self-deprecating
> > terms. Is it no wonder that others see us this way if this is the way we
> > see ourselves?
>
>Mr. Frost - if you are looking for terms which are neither
>obscure professional terms nor self-deprecating, I point you in
>the direction of...
>
> > a Justice League of .....
>
>This is in fact greatly complimentary, as it implies that
>Archivists are a respected and elite cadre of heroes. For the
>record, is "cadre" pronounced "Cad-ray" or "Cadder"? I think we
>should adopt this as our collective noun, and strike fear into
>the hearts of evildoers and librarians alike!
>Alternatively, the collective noun could be a Swashbuckling of
>Archivists, as it would cash in on the apparent American
>popularity of "Curse of the Black Pearl", and make us sound cool.
>Or we could call ourselves "Los Companeros Archivistas", as it
>also sounds cool. Or a "Fell Horde" of Archivists, if we want to
>capture the Tolkeinist Zeitgeist.
>Regards,
>
>Martin Hall

>MD Hall, University of Bristol Library - Special Collections

Greater Manchester County Record Office
56 Marshall Street
Manchester
M4 5FU
England

Tel + 44 161 819 4705
Fax + 44 161 839 3808

The North West Archives Festival September 2003