This message is intended for RSS members who live or work in the Reading
area and are interested in attending local group meetings.

After a break of a couple of years, the Reading Local Group of the RSS is up
and running again.  We have already had one meeting (June) and have another
planned for next Wednesday (22 October).

The local group exists to enable RSS members to benefit from membership
without the need to travel to meetings in London.  In the Reading Group we
try to arrange meetings that will appeal to both academic statisticians and
to more applied statisticians who work in government, industry and commerce,
although we have found that selecting topics that have such a wide appeal is
quite difficult.  In order to put together a successful programme we
therefore need to know what types of meetings local members want and what
type of topics they want covered.  You can help us by coming along to
meetings and telling us what you want.  To facilitate dialog we have also
set up a discussion group:
this discussion group to comment on past meetings, to suggest future
meetings and topics, and to recommend speakers.

The Reading Local Group now has its own web site that can be accessed via
the RSS web site: http://www.rdg.ac.uk/RSSlocal/.  This site gives details
of forthcoming meetings and other information of interest to local members.

We are now actively thinking about the programme for 2004 and you can help
us by completing a questionnaire.  It only takes a couple of minutes to
complete.  Tabulation of results is done electronically and can be done very
quickly so, if enough people complete it, we may show some preliminary
results at next weeks meeting.  The questionnaire can be found at:
http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~snsgrubb/questionr/form.php?code=rsslg1.

The next meeting of the local group takes place on Wednesday 22 October at 4
pm in the Nike Lecture Theatre, Agriculture Department, Reading University.
The subject is Credit Scoring and it is a joint meeting with the Business
and Industrial Section.  To find out more go to
http://www.rdg.ac.uk/RSSlocal/Synopses/2003october.html.

With Regards

Peter Chapman
Chairman, Reading Local Group