The introduction of a credit framework here the University of Kent has
brought with it the possibility for final year undergraduate degree students
to refer (ie resit their examinations or resubmit coursework) in the summer
vacation following the original sitting.

We are considering how best to involve external examiners and internal
examiners in the referral process and I should be grateful if colleagues
from institutions with experience of this would let me know:

1. What requirements your institution places on boards of examiners. Does it
require the full board of examiners to reconvene in the summer to consider
the results of students who have referred or does it allow a smaller,
representative group to do this?

2. What requirements your institution places on the involvement of external
examiners. (i) Does it require that external examiners should 'sign off'
resit examination papers and view a sample of students' scripts prior to the
meeting of the board of examiners? (ii) Does it require the attendance of
external examiners at meetings of boards of examiners at the referral stage,
does it require only that external examiners are involved at a distance (eg
by correspondence) or does it not require the involvement of external
examiners at all?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Please respond directly to me
([log in to unmask]) rather than to the mailbase. I will provide a
summary of responses to those who ask for it.

Many thanks,

David

David Coombe
Social Sciences Faculty Officer