As part of their contracts, our Student Counsellors receive regular supervision
but Student Advisers do not.  I realise that Counsellors and Advisers mean
different things in different Institutions but in our case, at a simplistic
level, Counsellors deal with personal and emotional problems and Advisers with
more practical issues. Obviously, the boundaries get a bit blurred and we have
strong liaison with our counselling colleagues.
As Advisers, we are finding that we are increasingly dealing with some very
difficult and stressful situations and we feel that some support, possibly from
an external source, would be appropriate.
I have put this to my Head of Division and he is, in principle, sympathetic to
the proposal but would like some idea of what systems, if any, other
Institutions have in place.
I'd be very grateful for any feed-back and possibly what NASMA's views are
too.
Thanks
Sybil

Sybil Green