We have been receiving complaints from Doctors about our requirement for
students to obtain medical certificates if they are absent from examinations
or wish to present sickness as a mitigating circumstance which prevented
them from handing in assessed coursework on time and for which late
submission is penalised.

I would be grateful if colleagues would share their experience on this as
follows:

1) Have you had similar complaints from medical practitioners? If so how
have you responded?

2) Do you insist on medical certification for mitigating circumstances or do
you permit self-certification? If self certification is permitted has this
caused a large increase in the numbers of students giving mitigating
circumstances?

3) If Doctors insist on charging for such a certificate (as has been
suggested) do you feel it is the College's responsibility to pay for such a
certificate or the student's?

Please reply to: [log in to unmask]  I will collate any responses if
people are interested.

Many thanks

Brian Houlgrave
Academic Registrar