Date sent:              Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:11:43 -0000
Send reply to:          "Academic, financial or space planning in UK universities"              <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Mair, Ilona" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Resource Allocation Models: Treatment of overheads
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Research Grant Overheads

At Oxford we include research grant and contract income including ALL
overheads in what we term 'directly allocated income'. This means that all
the research grant and contract income including 100% overheads is
passed directly to the earning units (in the first instance the academic
divisions and service units, although the divisions may chose to do
something different in their allocations to departments). This is intended to
act as a clear incentive to units to maximise overhead recovery rates.

Service Unit Budgets

The approach to setting and providing for service unit budgets involves
several steps. The first is to agree the level of the budget for each activity.
This is founded on an activity-based analysis, looking carefully at the costs
that need to be incurred in order to deliver a particular level of service. The
budgets are scrutinised by a working group.

Once service budgets have been settled, the next step is to take account
of the direct allocations of resources made to services. In the case of a
number of services, these directly attributable or directly earned allocations
comprise a significant proportion of the relevant budget.

A contribution to services budgets is also taken from a top-slice on the
total University income.

The final step is to calculate the proportion of the agreed service budgets
which cannot be met by direct allocations or the top slice, and then to
provide funds for these through an infrastructure charge levied on total
divisional income. This formulaic charge is based on a number of factors
which are designed, in very broad terms, to represent proxies of usage of
particular services. The principal drivers being used currently are student
load, staff load, and area occupied or maintained.

IA more detailed description of the Oxford RAM can be accessed from
http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/pra/rgw.shtml.

Veronica Wood