At UEA we are also reviewing our RM so I am particularly interested to hear
views of others in the RM area.

At one time income was top sliced at a fixed % to pay for central service
costs and University initiatives.  This of course gurantees growth of suche
expenditure at the same rate as growth in income.

So we moved over to an annual star chamber approach.  That settled costs at
a level after a short time.  Subsequently we have started with historic cost
+ something for inflation and a "CUBS" process (Central Units Budget
Setting) whereby central units bid for additional funds which should be to
secure university strategic objectives.

In determining the costs of central units we take into account the space
occuopied.

C costs are derived from drivers: space, staff, students and an income tax
on all income in the RM model.  The cost drivers are related to the relevant
C costs that they need to generate income to support (so Personnel is driven
by staff and library by a mixture of staff and students for example.

Good luck: I hope I shall hear more.

Rob

Rob Evans
Deputy Academic Registrar