From: Emmanuell Kusemamuriwo [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 July 2003 11:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Verifying Eligibility to work in the UK

Dear Colleagues,

It might also be a good idea to find out from "the horse's mouth" that is
the Home Office and/or the CRE, what we are supposed to ask for, from a
legal and therefore a non unlawful racial discriminatory practice point of
view.

This will also enable us to RRAA-proof all our current practice.

Though we might feel that what we,  from an institutional point of view, are
implementing, is fair practice, it might nonetheless end up being
unwittingly and unlawfully, racially discriminatory. Also our individual
requirements may have adverse impact on certain racial groups who might
already be considered, albeit from a stereotypical point of view,likely to
be "guilty" unless they can prove their innocence. While validation needs to
be sought,it still should be conducted candidly but fairly, as required by
the law of the land and our institutional practice has to be seen to be
implemented accordingly.

Any comments are most welcome.

Regards

Mannie Kusemamuriwo
Policy Adviser: Ethnicity & Cultural Diversity
Equality Challenge Unit
3rd Floor, 4 Tavistock Place
London  WC1H 9RA

Tel 020 7520 7063