This is an automatic reply.

I am  out of the office today, Friday 24 January. I will be back in work
on Monday 27 January.

Regards
Jean

>>> ADMIN-EO 01/23/03 18:03 >>>

Dear Liz,

My suggestion in response is this, you will need to first monitor, by
racial
group, gender and disability, who is currently represented on all your
committees. Then having identified which minority and diverse groups are
not
represented, you can base any Positive Action initiatives, targeting,
outreach work etc,that you might undertake to address this
under-representation, on the unsatisfactory institutional picture that
you
will have identified, as a result of the monitoring exercise. Monitoring
also gives you a good evidential base to make your case from and
convince
any would be detractors.

Please be minded that throughout all this exercise and any initiatives
that
you may decide are necessary, you will need to keep everyone else within
the
institution fully apprised of the what, why and how of what you are
doing.
Communication, consultation and meaningful involvement of all those who
are
relevant, within the institution, is vital. This will not only ensure
that
you are keeping the institution on board, but also that people will know
the
reason why they might be asked to do certain things in a particular
manner
in order to support what you are doing. If this is not done, it becomes
very
difficult to sustain any initiatives that you may decide to embark on,
as
part of your response to the requirements of both the RRAA and more
importantly, the mores of an equality and diversity based good
institutional
practice.

I hope this helps. If you need any further information on any of the
above,
please feel free to get back in touch with me any time.

Regards

Mannie Kusemamuriwo
Policy Adviser: Ethnicity & Cultural Diversity
Equality Challenge Unit
3rd Floor, 4 Tavistock Place
London  WC1H 9RA

Tel 020 7520 7063