Date sent:              Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:01:40 +0100
Send reply to:          HE Administrators equal opportunities list              <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Marie-June Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Virus Alert
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Hi everyone,
> BlankA virus has been passed to me by a contact. My address book in
> turn has been affected.  Since you are in my address book there is a
> good chance you will find it in your computer too. I followed the
> directions below and eradicated the virus easily.  The virus (called
> jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton of McAfee anti-virus systems.
> The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is
> sent automatically by messenger and by the address book whether or not
> you sent e-mails to you contacts. Here is how you check for the virus
> and get rid of it.
>
> 1. Go to start, find or search option.
>
> 2. In the file/folders option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
>
> 3. Be sure to search you C:drive and all the subfolders and any other
> drives you may have.
>
> 4. Click "find now"
>
> 5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe.  DO NOT
> OPEN IT
>
> 6. Go to edit (on the menu bar), choose "select all" to highlight the
> file without opening it.
>
> 7.  Now go to the file (on the menu bar) and select delete.  It will
> then go the recycle bin.
>
> IF YOU FIND THIS VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR
> ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
>
> To do this:
> a - Open a new e-mail message
> b - Click on the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
> c - Highlight every name and add to "BCC".
> d - Copy this message above and paste to e-mail.
> e - enter subject
>
> Marie Hull
> People Matters (UK) Ltd
> Telephone 01752-772519
> email [log in to unmask]

-----
Beatrice Merrick, Director of Services & Research
UKCOSA: The Council for International Education
9-17 St Alban's Place London  N1 0NX
Switchboard: +44/020 7288 4330  fax: +44/020 7288 4360
email: [log in to unmask]  URL: www.ukcosa.org.uk
Reg company number: 4507287
Reg charity number: 1095294