Help!  How far over the top should we go to give the best quality Lab
service for these cans of worms?

Pleural Fluids are expected to be be infected.  Therefore, must the sample
for pH be sent on ice if (instead of POCT) the sample takes a finite time to
travel to the lab?
Heparin mentioned:  I don't see the quantity or type of heparin specified.

Likewise, shouldn't a Lab assay for infected-fluid glucose use a fluoride
tube sample?

If Mycobacterium tuberculosis is a possibility, even a small possibility,
must the handling & analysis be done in a suitable proper Safety Cabinet?
Especially in these days of more resistant strains?  Did they ask HSE?

Thanks for the Thorax 2003 reference.  Eyeballing the 4 papers quickly, I
didn't spot any specifications of methodology or equipment for the glucose,
protein, chol, TG, LD, amylase, or iso-amylase assays.  The "packet inserts"
in our reagent boxes do say which samples each assay is validated by the
manufacturer for, presumably yours do too.  Ours do NOT include pleural
fluid for any of these analytes.

Best wishes,

Les