See the following reference.  It reports the amount of mercury released from
dental amalgam is minimal; a person would have to have 490 amalgam surfaces
for there to be enough mercury vapour and ionic mercury given off from
amalgam fillings to meet the maximum exposure guidelines.

Exposure or absorption and the crucial question of limits for mercury.
ARTICLE SOURCE:  J Can Dent Assoc  (Canada), Jan 1999, 65(1) p42-6
ABSTRACT:  Health Canada recently lowered the recommended maximum daily
exposure of mercury from all sources for women of child-bearing age and for
children less than 10 years. This new exposure guideline does not seem to be
based on any new scientific finding of human toxicity. The average daily
intake of methylmercury (mainly from fish) that may cause demonstrable
health effects in the most sensitive individual is 300 micrograms/day, or
4.3 micrograms Hg/day/kg body weight. The new, lower Health Canada limit is
95% below the level that may cause health effects. A number of studies have
looked at methylmercury in human breast milk (where maternal consumption of
fish is high), but no strong evidence of toxicity has been reported. The
amount of mercury released from dental amalgam is minimal; a person would
have to have 490 amalgam surfaces for there to be enough mercury vapour and
ionic mercury given off from amalgam fillings to meet the maximum exposure
guidelines. The uptake of food-related organic mercury is six times higher
than the uptake of mercury from amalgam; moreover, food-related mercury is
significantly more toxic. Many studies of amalgam-related mercury are flawed
by confusion between exposure and absorption for the various forms of
mercury, a limited selection of data, the ignoring of confounding variables
or the misclassification of data.

Uttam Garg, PhD, DABCC
Associate Professor
Director of Clinical Chem & Tox Labs