Herewith a copy of one such piece of research but I can't imagine how your GP might have found it!
Regards,
Jeff Davies

Original Article
Non-dipping in diabetic patients: insights from the siesta
Space
G Perk, J Mekler, D Ben Ishay and M Bursztyn
Space

Hadassah University Hospital, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel

Correspondence to: M Bursztyn, Department of Medicine, Hadassah University Hospital, Mount Scopus, PO Box 24035, Jerusalem 91240, Israel. E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Space
Abstract
Space

Non-dipping, ie failure to lower blood pressure during sleep, has been found to be more prevalent in diabetic than in non-diabetic subjects. However, the reasons remain to be clarified. Diabetic patients may wake up more frequently during the night (for instance, due to nocturia). This may result in inclusion of awake blood pressure measurements in the night-time average and thus erroneously raise this average, causing misclassification of patients as non-dippers. However, non-dipping in diabetes may be due to blunted effect of sleep itself on blood pressure secondary to autonomic neuropathy. We undertook this study in order to further clarify this question. We studied 23 diabetic patients, and 23 matched controls who underwent 24-h ambulatory blood pressure monitoring, and reported taking an afternoon nap. Afternoon nap, by virtue of its short duration, is devoid of interruptions, and thus can be used as a model for tiled, non-interrupted sleep. We found that, both in diabetic patients and controls, blood pressure declined during the afternoon nap in a similar magnitude to the night-time decline. However, this decline was significantly blunted in the diabetic patients (13.9 ± 2.2% decline in diastolic blood pressure during naptime in the diabetic patients, as compared with 24 ± 2.3% decline in diastolic blood pressure during the siesta in the control group, P < 0.02). The blunted decline of blood pressure during the nap in diabetic patients demonstrates that non-dipping is due to the blunted effect of sleep itself. This can be another facet of autonomic dysfunction seen in diabetes mellitus.

Journal of Human Hypertension (2002) 16, 435-438. DOI: 10.1038/sj/jhh/1001412

>>> Eric Hindle <[log in to unmask]> 04/30/03 03:42pm >>>
One of my GPs is sending samples from lots of GTTs conducted in his own
surgery on patients described as 'non dippers' (hypertensive patients who
do not drop their BPs at night during 24hr monitoring) who he believes to
be at greater  risk of DM. He does seem to pick up quite a high number of
patients with abnormal tolerance but this could be because they are at high
risk of DM anyway not just because they fail to dip their BPs.

I can't find any evidence for this claim (and he has yet to provide me with
any either). Can anyone shed any light on this?

Eric Hindle

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.