Even the 'correct' quantity of 'Lucozade' exceeds the WHO guidance of volume for OGTT.
All presentations of 'Lucozade Sparkling Glucose Energy Drink' contain caffeine amongst the 'flavourings' according to gsk's literature (including the Dec 2003 version). Whether this is sufficient to cause significant insulin resistance, as reported for caffeine elsewhere, does not appear to have been established.
These at least theoretical disadvantages can all be avoided by using 'Polycal' 113 mL in 250 - 300 mL water as advised in the BNF.
Regards,
Jeff Davies
Bradford Royal Infirmary

>>> "Corns, Cathryn" <[log in to unmask]> 12/16/03 03:15pm >>>
I posted this, because I knew that some people do use Lucozade, despite
its disadvantages; this lab does not!  However, if labs are using it, it
seems important to at least try to use the correct volume.  In fact, I
don't think that the usual formulations do use caffeine - but obviously
do contain CO2.

Cathryn Corns
Head of Biochemistry
Southend Hospital