From: Les Culank [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 November 2003 14:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Significant figures, rounding off, and error

If one were to round off a result, one would also add to the likelihood of error in the result.

For example if all results from 9.5 to 10.4 were rounded off to 10, the result of 10  would gain in error, with a cv of approx. 3% from the rounding off process.

If the analytical error from all other sources were about 2% or so, the overall error of that result of 10 would now be approx. 4%.

Best wishes,
Les