Why are the MLSOs worried about state registration issues? My understanding is that they can report other than to a registered medical dental or vet practitioner if in accordance with an NHS protocol. Write them a protocol, get it agreed by your local governance procedures and all should be well.

Robert Forrest
-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Tilbrook Louise (RQ8) Mid Essex Hospital
Sent: 29 July 2003 03:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Issuing results to patients

At present we have several patients (usually children) who have shared care between us and a teaching hospital. Often when the family visit the referral clinic for treatment/review the most recent set of pathology results are not available, despite our best efforts to send copies as requested. We want to be able to issue results directly to this small group of patients either by post, by collection from the lab or over the telephone (using our standard issue results pad, which we send to GPs, wards etc).

Staff are concerned about the implications of this from a state registration point of view. How do other labs get around this problem? The number of patients concerned is very small but typically they are very unwell, often with life-limiting conditions. Chasing blood results understandably adds to the stress these families are under and we are keen to find a solution.

Experiences from other labs would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Louise Tilbrook

Louise Tilbrook
Principal Clinical Scientist
Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust
Broomfield Hospital
Chelmsford
Essex
CM1 7ET

Phone 01245 514013
Fax 01245 514077

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.