This issue is currently generating considerable debate. On the one hand
there is concern that there could be an over-reliance on the negative
predictive value of a normal or equivocal d-dimer result in ?DVT; and on
the other there is the need to screen out non-thrombotic episodes in
A&E to help achieve the 4-hour standard. At present we do not offer this
test as a POCT procedure but fast-track them though the laboratory.
Requesting protocols are policed quite strictly.
Of the kits available for POCT, I have tried the SimpliRed and Nycocard
 methods, either of which would do the job. (Nycocard did not receive a
good review in the last MDA appraisals). Both are relatively costly as a
single test but not when  compared to ultrasonography.
My own view is that POCT for d-dimers is useful in both A&E and Health
Centre situations when used discriminately as negative indicators for
thromboembolic episodes. The issues, as ever, will be maintaining the
requesting discipline, training the  operators and ensuring lab-based
QA.

Ian Johnson
Chief Biomedical Scientist - Haematology
University Hospital Lewisham
London SE13 6LH
Tel: 0208 333 3000 ext 6157
email: [log in to unmask]
Fax: 0208 333 3006

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/07/03 15:20:17 >>>
Does anyone have any experience  - or information about the usefulness
- of POCT D-dimer for diagnosing DVT?

Thanks

Dr MJ Pearson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
Old Medical School
Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust)
LEEDS LS1 3EX
UK

tel   (44)-113-392-3945
fax  (44)-113-343-5672

http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
[log in to unmask] Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/