We looked in to this a few years ago, not sure if the mailgroup was
working then. We got quite a lot of answers but we couldn't find
anything definitive. We went for the following:

Green: Clinical Biochemistry
Red: Laboratory Haematology
Blue: Microbiology
Black: Cellular Pathology
Brown: Laboratory Immunology

These were white cards with the ink being the bit that was coloured:
this photocopies much better and more consistently than coloured cards.
(Single piece cards with attached bags. Card not paper. No flimsies. No
NCR.)

Jonathan