Reply posted on behalf of Peter George, Clinical Director, Canterbury
Health Labs, Christchurch, New Zealand - [log in to unmask]

Definitely do a lipoprotein electrophoresis to see if there is alpha
lipoprotein or not. I assume that you can not do lipoprotein
ultracentrifugation what about apoAI levels?

Paraprotein seems less likely as HDL was OK when measured in Jan 2003.

I have seen this in patients on Bezafibrate - it is a rare paradoxical
effect - and in patients receiving chelation therapy for cardiac
disease. In the second case I think it is due to very high levels of
co-administered absorbate +/- EDTA in the chelation infusion.

Hope this helps, Peter

"If you have more than enough then you have someone  elses"

Trevor Walmsley, Canterbury Health Labs, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Phone: (0064 3) 364 0326 Fax:Phone: (0064 3) 364 0320
eMail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.cdhb.govt.nz/chlabs/staff/trevorw.htm

** This email and attachments have been scanned for content and viruses
and is believed to be clean **
This email or attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressee(s).
Any use, redistribution, disclosure, or reproduction of this message,
except as intended, is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and remove all copies of the message,
including any attachments. Any views or opinions expressed in this
email (unless otherwise stated) may not represent those of Canterbury
District Health Board