Uranium in biological samples can be measured by ICPMS.  There are now a few labs in the UK with this capability.  Uranium levels are very low, and at the detection limit of most assays in unexposed individuals, so quantitation is at best difficult.  Identification of the total uranium as depleted uranium requires measurement of the isotope ratio, and an accurate assessment of this is even more difficult.  It may not be impossible but only the brave will attempt it! The best sample to measure uranium in is probably urine, but whole blood assays would also be possible.
Whether it is worthwhile is a different question.  I presume you are interested in possible exposure in Iraq and possibly other areas of conflict.  I would have thought that the demonstration of a raised total uranium would probably be sufficient.

best wishes

Barry Sampson

Dear colleagues,
I re-call that this issue was raised quite recently but I cannot re-call the outcome.
The question is: Can anyone test for depleted uranium? Is it worthwhile? If so, what is the sample type.
Many thanks
Ian Barlow
Scunthorpe
UK
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.

Barry Sampson
Principal Biochemist and Honorary Lecturer
Trace Element Laboratory
Clinical Chemistry
Charing Cross Hospital & Imperial College School of Medicine
London W6 8RF
UK

Phone +44-020-8383 3644
Fax      +44-020-8846-7007

Trace Element Laboratory now on the Web at:
<http://home.clara.net/sampson1/html/laboratory.htm> ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.