For my ha'penn'orth both Martin and Paul have a point.  We must keep up
with the literature and when, as Paul points out, a test has earnt its
evidence-based place in the repertoire, do what we can to introduce it.

The problem, as Martin outlined, is that too many labs are constrained
by lab. budgets imposed by management who regard them as cost centres
not as part of the (in modern jargon) patient-process.  i.e. we are seen
as the problem not part of the solution, which in the case of BNP we
genuinely are as we can help with a lot of the short-term problems in
cardiac ultrasound waiting lists.  In the longer term, BNP will probably
be used to monitor treatment so the potential workload will steadily
increase.

Those of us that have convinced our management to include pathology
costs in patient treatment costs (i.e. see us as part of patient
treatment not a costly by-product) through mechanisms such as clinical
budgeting or internal trading, only have to convince our clinicians that
it is worth the cost and they then are able to include it as part of the
patient care package.  In many cases, pathology costs, being relatively
low compared with inpatient costs etc. disappear altogether (though not
for BNP at current cost !).  In our case the clinicians are delighted to
fight our corner on our behalf, clinical budgeting will do the rest.
(See our Annals paper on clinical budgeting last year).  We can then
stop seeing new expensive tests as an intractable problem but more as a
further opportunity for the laboratory to add value to their output (of
largely irrelevant U&E!).

The problem in our case is that internal trading will only cover the
internal economy of the hospital and we have still to persuade our GPs
to pay for their increasing pathology workload.  So we will have to
restrict BNP to hospital consultants only - and when that happens I
don't expect it to last a month without pressure from GPs on their
managers to let them have it.  Actually we are introducing it as a
carefully monitored research project, funded by soft money, but guess
what will happen when clinicians hear it is available. The "research" is
intended to persuade the PCTs. If this sounds like politics, so be it,
but it is more about managing in the current NHS environment.  There are
plenty of ways and means of putting pressure on.  NICE and clinical
governance are another way in.

So, if we are convinced that a test has a good evidence base, then the
clinicians will almost certainly want it and will help you put pressure
on managers to fund it.  This is essential - the funding mechanisms I
mentioned above then remove some of the obstacles and make getting up
and running easier.  As laboratory managers we need to influence the
environment in which we operate locally (by making sure we are on good
terms with both managers and clinicians) as well as making sure our
science is good.
Trevor
--
Trevor Gray