Dear Johathan:

I suppose it's fair to say that just about any ingested amount of ethylene
glycol or methanol is clinically significant, but I have always been told
that a concentration of at least 20 mg/dL (apologies for the archaic
American units) will prompt clinical intervention. At that concentration,
methanol only raises the osmol gap about 6 mOsm, and ethylene glycol half
that. Taking into account the error in osmolality measured by most freezing
point osmometers, it is very possible to have a clinically significant
intoxication without an elevated osmolar gap. Given the toxicity of these
volatiles, our clinical toxicology staff would initiate agressive treatment
based on suspicion alone, even if the osmolar gap was normal.

I haven't heard of any lab that could measure methanol or ethylene glycol
fast enough to postpone treatment for the lab result, and I'm not sure the
analytical method exists that can rise to that challenge. GC would take a
couple of hours, minimum. It would be useful to be able to discharge a
patient sooner if the test came back negative, but none of the clinical
laboratories in Jacksonville performs these tests on a STAT basis. I
considered setting it up several years ago, but the GC methods for methanol
and ethylene glycol are different--EG requires derivatization--so it was
simply impractical.

We measure ethanol on an automated chemistry analyzer using an alcohol
dehydrogenase method, and the turnaround time is no longer than it would be
to report an osmol gap--about 45 minutes once we receive the specimen.

Roger

Roger L. Bertholf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Director of Clinical Chemistry & Toxicology
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville