From: Borland, Bill [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 5:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'Screening' test for alcohol

I would be interested to hear any views on the use of the Osmolal Gap as a screening test for Ethanol. (Coakley at al, Pathology, 1983,15, 321)

One of the A&E departments within our Trust uses the Osmolal Gap as a 'screening' test for alcohol and in only a few clinical situations do they require a more specific assay for ethanol. They have used the Gap in this way for many years and I suspect were encouraged to do this by the lab in the days when it was easier to measure serum osmolality than ethanol, especially out of hours.

The danger is that junior medical staff may not be aware of the limitations of this approach and delay identification of a possible methanol or ethylene glycol poisoning. Should we be discouraging them?

It would be useful to find out the practice in other centres.

William Borland
Principal Biochemist (Toxicology)
Biochemistry Department
North Glasgow NHS Trust
Gartnavel General Hospital
Glasgow  G12 0YN
Tel    0141 211 3343
Fax   0141 211 3452
Email bill.borland.wg@northglasgow .scot.nhs.uk

The information contained within this e-mail and in any
attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please destroy this message, delete
any copies held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.
You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail for any purpose,
nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.
All messages passing through this gateway are checked for viruses
but we strongly recommend that you check for viruses using your
own virus scanner as North Glasgow University Hospitals NHS Trust
will not take responsibility for any damage caused as a result of
virus infection.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.