From: Frank Wells [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 June 2003 21:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hydrogen ion

In 1998, following the Annals article by Hooper, Marshall and Miller
(Log-jam in acid base education and investigation: why make it so
difficult?, Ann Clin Biochem 1998 35 85-93) I set up a series of meetings
with our respiratory physician and a lead ITU consultant and we changed from
reporting pH to hydrogen ion. Educational material, including sample cases,
was placed on the Intranet, together with an explanation of the reasons for
the change. Every ward was supplied with a laminated acid base diagram, with
some additional basic information on utilisation of hydrogen ion. It all
went a lot more smoothly than I feared, and I have had occasional questions
from junior staff but no significant problems. I made the change partly
because I believed in it (even I could work out what was going on with most
of our gas results!) and partly because, in the West Midland Region,
following a meeting at which Dr Hooper spoke, there seemed to be a broad
support for the change.

Recently, I have had a chest physician asking me to change back, saying that
most guidelines use pH and almost all other hospitals do, and we are out of
step. Could I ask what others are doing? I realise that the users of the
mailbase may not be entirely representative, but I would very much like to
know the state of play at present.

Frank Wells
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion
list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical
biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed
via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are
responsible for all message content.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions
(How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/