Dear David:

We combined chemistry and hematology nearly ten years ago, and our
experience was mostly similar to Ian's. I have talked with many, many
colleagues in the U.S. who have adopted the "Core Laboratory" concept, and I
suspect that it is more common than not in clinical laboratories on this
side of the pond. I also suspect that the principal driving force behind
this migration was pressure to reduce staff.

In my experience, while combining chemistry and hematology does increase
efficiency and productivity, the flexibility it affords in staff scheduling
is ordinarily overstated. There are a couple of reasons for this: First,
there is a limit to how much we can expect our technologists to learn. It is
difficult for a technologist to completely master one or two modern
analytical instruments--despite vendor's assertions that these are "turn-key
systems"--but to expect that they will become proficient on all the
instruments in a combined hematology/chemistry laboratory is very
optimistic. I believe it increases the probability for errors. But secondly,
in Florida we have difficulties related to licensure--we have some core
laboratory technologists who are licensed only in chemistry or hematology,
not both. Although some techs are cross-licensed, this disparity has limited
our flexibility in staffing the various areas of the lab. So even though
chemistry and hematology are in the same room, we still have to assign
technologists to specific workstations, which diminishes any anticipated
savings in technical FTEs.

I think the primary advantage to combining chemistry and hematology
laboratories is in creating a common specimen processing station that is
proximal to both services. In U.S. labs, we are always under enormous
pressure to improve turnaround times, and having the processing station so
close to both the high volume chemistry and hematology analyzers is a great
benefit. When we have done workflow analyses in the past, specimen
processing consistently turns up as the bottleneck.

Kind regards,

Roger

Roger L. Bertholf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Director of Clinical Chemistry & Toxicology
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville