Hi,

We have used a commercially available system called CLIP for about five
years now. It's a simple  DOS based program, running on an old 486, which
was manufactured by Dataworks Development, Inc. ( www.dwdev.com ). They
still sell CLIP but I am not sure if it is still DOS based or has moved to
Windows. As far as I am concerned the DOS version is just fine. They also
have a fancier version of CLIP called Freezerworks, also for tracking
samples in your fridges and freezers which has more features.

CLIP allows you to configure any number of storage locations, freezers,
fridges, shelves, racks, etc. with their respective storage periods.
Samples get logged into the system by assigning the sample ID number ( via
a keyboard or a bar code scanner if your tubes already have bar codes ) to
the next available empty storage position in a rack, or whatever your
storage unit is. If you have a scanner, you just swipe your bar code in
front of the scanner, the software beeps at you indicating the next empty
position, and you place the sample into that position. It literally takes
only a second.

It does not link to your LIS and therefore does not store patient
demographics, or tests ordered, only the ID number.  Searching for an ID #
of a sample in the database is simple, all you do is enter the ID and it
gives you the location. Multiple occurences of the same ID number are no
problem either. It's pretty cheap; the bar code scanner was actually the
most expensive part of the project. The only drawbacks are a slightly
confusing array of commands, and the fact that you have to figure out your
own way of backing up the data base.

When we bought it we had the software customized for us  - we added a
function to delete by rack, as we didn't like the delete by date option.
Deleting by rack allows us to simply dump all racks with samples older than
certain date (eg one week).

Everyone in our lab likes it, and it saves hours of tech time every day. In
terms of bang for the buck, and ease of implementation, it was one of the
best investments we ever made in the lab. And no, I don't get paid by
them...

Wolfgang Schneider
Division of Medical Biochemistry, Montreal General Hospital
1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1A4, Canada
Phone   (514)-934-1934 x 42782     Fax (514) 934-8086
Email:    [log in to unmask]
Manufactured only with 100% recyclable electrons