From: Mainwaring-Burton Richard (RGZ) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: vrijdag 9 mei 2003 13:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ESR - was amylase inhibition

It seems to me the reluctance is a difficulty in actively changing existing practice to reflect recent advances.
What appears to happen is that protocols and treatment regimes are established around current technology (viz temporal arteritis and ESR) and no cognisance is taken of later tests which may be better than the original 'old' test.

Is this a research issue or a governance issue ? There is no doubt that best practice should be to use the best test, but who will force the abolition of the historic approach ? We (most of us !) have managed to get rid of isocitrate dehydrogease and thymol turbidity, so perhaps we should be more pro-active in switching off useless tests.

I could cite several instances of 'unscientific' test usage which I have come across but my pet ones are :

Cytotoxic dosing based on 24hr creatinine clearance - the original paper was a letter to an eminent oncological journal based on 10 patients !

The belief in a one-off hCG being able to diagnose ectopic pregnancy

with best wishes

Richard

Richard Mainwaring-Burton
Consultant Biochemist