Eric

I am sorry that the argument has shifted but suppose cystatin c has a reference interval of 0.5 - 1.5 mg/L, the same would apply, a patient with cystatin c of 0.5 mg/L rising to 1.0 mg/L would have significant renal impairment despite cystatin c being within the ref. range. This is true for all anlytes with the so called reference ranges.

As I said before de novo hyperglycaemia (fasting & random) remains central to diagnosis of DM. If fasting glucose is in the normal/impaired range (5.6 - 6.9), then additional HbA1c measurement (a remarkably precise & stanadarised test now) provides further insight into the glycaemic status of the patient. GTT may produce artefactual hyperglycaemia and has poor intraindividual reproducibility. After all the decision to start drug treatment in type 2 diabetes and to assess response to treatment, will depend very much on regular HbA1c measurement.

Mohammad

Dr. M Al-Jubouri, Consultant Chemical Pathologist