It seems to me that the question is a bit like PSA, or free PSA in detecting prostate cancer. Its not diagnostic but may have a likelihood ratio (pos or neg) depending on the FSH level, that can improve the probability of a correct diagnosis. The risk side of the equation for long term HRT would seem to me to suggest any improved diagnostic accuracy (over and above clinical assessment) may be worthwhile. The question is whether FSH measurement can provide this. Isn't this the sort of question an evidence-based approach can solve? Has  anyone done such a systematic review or a controlled study? Since senior members of the profession have differing views and many of the rest of us just plain don't know authorative evidence-based recommendations are surely what is needed.

steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Mohammad Al-Jubouri [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 10:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Elusive peri/menopausal state

I am sorry to be persistent on this, but a single reading of FSH of 5.0 IU/L in a 45 year-old lady with hot flushes does not exclude perimenopausal state, such is the dishonesty of the FSH in providing useful insight into the transitional period.

I am not saying that GPs should rush and put such a patient on HRT but rather to use their clinical judgement based on full menstrual history and clinical assessment of severity and persistence of menopausal signs and symptoms. Once they are convinced that such symptoms are most likely, in this age group, to be due to naturally failing ovaries and not due to thyrotoxicosis for e.g, full discussion with the patient about choices and risk- benefit analysis of HRT must ensue. Patients may tolerat e the symptoms and defer using HRT until age of 48 years (for e.g), they may wish to start HRT immediately or they may not wish to have HRT altogether. Such decisions should not be based  on a single visit to the GP but enough time (months) should be allowed for the GP and the patient to be convinced about a bilaterally satisfactory course of action. This is the logical approach and FSH should no be consulted as it lacks insight.

The reality is that more women (rightly or wrongly) are choosing to have HRT (youth elixir)than ever before and for longer periods as well.

Regards

Mohammad

Message your friends in real time - and for free. Get MSN Messenger today! ------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.