There is a significant difference in the separation of the peaks in the
electrochemical detection of catecholamines depending on the elution method
from the urine. We have found that eluting the CATS from urine on
Amberlite, followed by their elution from the column with boric acid,
results in a superior HPLC separation with little or no interferences. The
elution with alumina does not result in the same "clean" peaks and we were
confronted with frequent interferences before we moved to Amberlite.

In the Amberlite method, the metanephrines are generally not eluted from
the column with boric acid, although sometimes a small amount is released
(in fact, if eluted the normetanephrine peak is seen just after the DHBA
internal standard peak). In order to release the metanephrines the column
is subsequently washed  (after the boric acid wash for elution of the
catecholamines) with an ammonia solution. The eluted metanephrines are
conjugated and have to be deconjugated prior to running them on the HPLC.

Since moving to the Amberlite elution method, we have never had
interference problems with our DHBA internal standard peak.

The determination of the metanephrines, rather than catecholamines,
however, is seen by many as the most sensitive and specific test for the
diagnosis of pheochromocytoma.

Oren Zinder

Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Rambam Medical Center