>I have to clarify my previous remark. It seems that 1 in 15,000
>individuals (in most countries) does not have "measurable" TBG, in other
>words absence of TBG is not exceedingly rare. Therefore, it appears
>reasonable to have some laboratories able to perform TBG quantitation (not
>TBG affinity for T4 or TBG binding capacity). The cases with strong
>suspicion of complete TBG deficiency (in contrast with merely decreased
>TBG) could be referred to some research labs that can easily find out the
>mutations in the TBG gene or alterations of its promoter. The "abnormal"
>TBG often have "geographical" names (similar to hemoglobins of the past).
>TBG is X-linked, therefore complete TBG deficiency is found mostly in
>males. I do not think that TBG quantitation should be performed in all
>individuals with decreased T4 and measurement of "free T4" is more common.
>The Valentine' Day poetry of Prof. Ekins is greatly appreciated!
>AOV

Also in conclusion, I should also clarify my previous remarks
(directed to Adrian Vladutiu).  Graham Beastall's original message
questioned the value of continuing with TBG assays.  The consensus
view seems to be that such assays are of little diagnostic value per
se, although Graham (in an e-mail to me of 13th Feb which may not
have been generally circulated) indicated that they may occasionally
be of value to unravel certain difficult diagnostic problems.  I take
this to mean that a knowledge of the TBG concentration may be helpful
in clarifying apparently contradictory results - and I agree that
such knowledge can be useful.

I also agree with Adrian Vladutiu that it would be a pity if no
research laboratory were available to which anomalous samples could
be sent for detailed investigation of their TBG content and the
properties of the TBG  they contain.  TBG is a bizarre protein in
that its total absence (which, for the reasons given by Adrian
Vladutiu, is generally confined to males) has no apparent
physiological effect.  Are therefore its presence in human serum, and
the increase in its concentration  in pregnancy, merely genetic
accidents without purpose? Is this also true of other specific
hormone binding proteins present in blood ? And why does the rise in
corticosteroid-binding globulin (CBG)  in pregnancy occur only in
mammalian species with haemochorial or haemoendothelial placentae
(see Seal VS and Doe RP. "Corticosteroid-binding globulin:
Biochemistry, physiology and phylogeny. In Pincus G, Nadac T, Tait
JF; Eds. Steroid Dynamics. Academic Press, New York; 63-90, 1966)?

These questions underlay my hypothesis  (see Ekins R . "Roles of
serum thyroxine- binding proteins and maternal thyroid hormones in
fetal development" [Hypothesis] Lancet i. 1129-1132, 1985) that TBG's
role is to ensure adequate transport of maternal T4  to the fetus
(prior to the development of the fetal thyroid), in which I
postulated that a supply of T4  is of crucial  importance to early
fetal  neurological development (as is now increasingly accepted).
(This hypothesis stemmed in part from collaborative studies -  with
Dr Peter Pharoah and Prof Kevin Connolly - in New Guinea where in
certain regions some 15% of children are born neurological cretins.)

Hence my instant poem.  I'm delighted it was appreciated by  Adrian
Vladutiu, albeit I had, of course, another, fairer, recipient in mind.
--

Roger Ekins

Molecular Endocrinology
University College London Medical School
London W1N 8AA

Fax +44 20 7580 2737
Phone +44 20 7679 9410